Unintentional carbon monoxide exposure leads to 20,000 emergency room visits and over 400 deaths annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Most of these visits and deaths occur in January due to an increased use of fuel-burning devices. These safety tips will help you avoid becoming a statistic this winter.
What is carbon monoxide?
CO is produced whenever fuel is burned in fireplaces, furnaces, gas ranges, grills, stoves and vehicles. The combustion fumes from these devices replace the oxygen in your red blood cells and can cause damage to your brain and heart, or even kill you. CO has been referred to as ‘the Silent Killer’ because it is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
CO poisoning symptoms are often described as ‘flu-like’ as they include chest pain, dizziness, headache, upset stomach and vomiting. Breathing in an excessive amount can also seriously confuse or cause a loss of consciousness.
How could I prevent my family from being poisoned by carbon monoxide?
- Any gasoline-powered devices or engines should not be run in enclosed spaces or less than twenty feet from any open doors, vents or windows where exhaust can escape. This includes leaving a vehicle’s motor running while parked in a garage.
- Charcoal grills, camp stoves, generators and other charcoal-burning devices should also not be used inside your home.
- Clean any chimneys, flues or vents in your home and keep them clear of debris that can block ventilation lines.
- Do not heat your home with a gas oven or burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t properly vented.
- Have monitored carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home. Our monitored CO detectors saved the lives of a mother and her baby by alerting the local fire department when a gas leak occurred in their home while the family slept. Without these detectors, the leak may have been fatal.
Can I get these monitored carbon monoxide detectors included with my security?
You can! Our commitment to life safety has inspired us to discount all life safety devices, including monitored CO detectors, by 50% through January 11th, 2021. Give your office a call today and ask about our ‘Fresh Start’ opportunity. You can also click here to book a virtual appointment with B Safe Bobby and use ‘Fresh Start’ as your promo code to take advantage of the savings today. Some conditions apply, residential systems only.